Friday 22 April 2011

A peek inside the greenhouse

The small 10x6' lean-to greenhouse has proved invaluable but I'd like one five times the size - I can but dream.

I've had a tidy up after all of the seed sowing and growing on to plant out and am left with sweet corn, celery (from seed and from Medwyn's plants) in the propagator to keep them warm and at a steady temperature plus a variety of flowering plants for the hanging baskets and of course - tomatoes!

The tomatoes have done brilliant and all grown from seed.  I've used a growing light for 12 hours a day and a gas heater (propane as this doesn't freeze) keeping the minimum temperature as close to 10C as possible.

I've used a home made compost used for growing exhibition onions (see below) which is a pain to do but is proving so far to be very good indeed.  It holds the water very well and should have more than enough nutrients for the first stages of growth (until flowering).
First flowers already on the tomatoes - good strong plants too
I'm growing tomato Big Boy, a beefsteak tomato which will hopefully grow both indoors and out together with varieties Diplom F1, Ferline F1 and Koralik.  I got the seeds from Chase Organics (http://www.organiccatalogue.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=18e60cea4ce2b9ca6f1b063441d9097d) and believe organic seed will resist disease and produce stronger plants than non organic - we shall see).

As a footnote I bought my flowering bulbs from here last year and they've turned out to be absolute show stoppers so this is a supplier I am finding to be up there with the best.

My best intentions were to grow only two plants per grow bag but I couldn't resist and have done three.  If I can contain myself I'll try two to a grow bag in one of the outdoor planters.

Greenhouse tomatoes
I'm using grow pots and the ring culture method in an oversize (double) grow bag.  Pressure on pricing has meant ever smaller grow bags rather than increasing prices but at last these large, double size bags are available).

The frames are from Harrods Horticultural which we've treated (they come treated but I never trust that alone) and painted them an antique blue using a safe paint.

A tip I saw said to remove the bottom 6" of stems and then plant the tomato right down to the upper stems thus giving a great depth of planting that will grow a longer and stronger root system. i've done this and we'll see how we get on but the plants are the strongest I've ever seen, anywhere. 

i think it;'s a combination of good compost (overkill I know), good growing light levels from the overhead growing light, and great seed. All we need do now is keep pinching side shoots out, feed and water and we're off!

Tomatoes growing on

Celery from seed and purchased plants keeping warm in the propagator

Sweet corn growing on at a nice pace

Next post I want to talk about fertilisers.



Special compost:

4 parts sieved compost.
1 part sieved top soil
1 part fine vermiculite
1 part sharp sand.

To every 30 litres of this mix add:

4 oz ground up Vitax Q4 (also substituted by 50/50 Superphosphates plus sulphate of potash instead of Vitax in some of the mixes)
2 oz ground limestone
2 oz Calcified seaweed ground up
2 oz Seaweed meal
1 oz Nutrimate powder.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment